Those of you who have been following for a while know that my son has severe food allergies. He is allergic to dairy, eggs, and peanuts. Sometimes finding and cooking "safe" foods for him can be a real challenge. I am always pinning new recipes on Pinterest that are either safe for him or can be adapted to be safe for him.
The other day I came across a recipe by one of our favorite allergy friendly companies, Sunbutter. It was for Chocolate and Sunbutter Popcorn Mix. I loved how easy it was to make and I happened to have everything on hand so I whipped up a quick batch as an after school treat for my kiddos.
It does make a LARGE batch, so be prepared to share with your friends and neighbors... or set it out at a party! Just know that you won't have any leftovers.. because it is THAT good!
Here is the recipe :
2 bags of popped microwave popcorn (or pop 2/3 cup popcorn kernels)
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups light corn syrup
1 1/3 cups Sunbutter
1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1. Place popcorn in a large bowl. Be sure to remove all un-popped kernels.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil.
3. Turn off heat and add Sunbutter, stirring until creamy and completely combined.
3. Gently pour Sunbutter mixture into popcorn and fold in until popcorn is coated.
4. Spoon Sunbutter popcorn onto a parchment lined (or greased) baking sheet to cool.
5. Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted.
6. Stir in coconut oil. Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate across the cooling popcorn.
7. Place the sunbutter popcorn in a cool place (or in the fridge) until the drizzle hardens. Break apart the popcorn, serve, and ENJOY!
This would make a fun holiday treat to give away. Place it in a mason jar, tie a cute ribbon or some twine around it and add a sticker to the top!
You could go one step further and add some pretzels, nuts, coconut, or anything else you want to the mixture. Try different combinations to see what you like the best!
Let me know if you give this recipe a try! Looking at these pictures again is making my mouth water... time to make another batch...
Pin It now!