Yes, you can buy this stuff in the store... but honestly... why!?! You can make it at home and know that there are no artificial anythings in it. You could even go completely organic if you want! BUT, the best part is being able to brag... "Yah, I made this!" Okay, not really the best part, but it's definitely something to take a little pride in for sure!
It's sweet, it's spicy, it's healthy, and it's delicious. Need I say more?!?!
• 1 Mango (be sure it's a nice ripe one -- red and yellow and orange in color -- slightly tender to the touch, like a peach)
• 1 red onion
• frozen corn
• 1 medium jalapeno
• a couple ripe tomatoes (depends on how tomato-y you like your salsa)
1. Peel and dice your mango. This can be a little tricky if you've never done it before. After peeling mine I sliced it up like an apple avoiding the core of the mango. It has really tough fibers running through most of the center... you don't want those in your salsa.
2. Dice enough red onion to make about 1/4 of a cup. Like with all of the ingredients if you like more or less of something in your salsa you can adjust the measurements.
3. Add 1/2 cup of frozen corn. It keeps the salsa nice and cool if you are eating it right away. You could also roast some corn and add that instead of frozen... yummy!
4. Dice your tomatoes. I like to slice mine then remove the seeds, then dice it. I am NOT a fan of seeds in my salsa.
5. Add 1/2 tsp of cilantro. You can use fresh, or freeze dried. I personally used the freeze dried. It is easy to store, easy to measure out and use, and we don't go through enough cilantro to buy the bunch from the grocery store.
6. Dice your jalapeno. I can't stress this enough, but ALWAYS WEAR FOOD SAFE GLOVES WHEN CUTTING A JALAPENO. I learned my lesson. Once was all it took. Several years ago I sliced a jalapeno ungloved (not a word, I know), washed my hands thoroughly, and later in the day rubbed my eye. Ya... it wasn't fun! So, from now on I wear gloves and I always slice it last!
7. Mix everything up and enjoy. I find that it tastes even better after being in the fridge overnight. All of the flavors marry together and it is sheer perfection.
My 6 year old (who doesn't like salsa) loved this because it is sweet.... but sneaky me... still has all the regular salsa players in it. So, stock up on some tortilla chips, and invite some friends over!!Pin It now!